Extremly slow large email download from ispconfig server

mlechner

Hi,
my ispconfig installation v3.2.5 is extremely slow when downloading emails with large attachements (and even smaller emails are relatively slow). I'm using the standard ispconfig stack dovecot/postfix with mysql backend, amavis, postgrey and fail2ban configured. For accessing the mailboxes Thunderbird,IMAP is used. The Email download is extrenmely slow (minutes for an email with a lets say 10MB attachement) on different client machines, any mail account while the client machines and the server as well do not show any noteworthy load: 0.xx. Accessing the same mails from other email providers than my own (yahoo, gmail, ...) is fast on the same client. My vserver has 2 cores and 8GB RAM, but is only used for a handful of private emailboxes - and as already said: the servers load stays down while fetching my emails.

Any hint how to investigate to find the possible reason for the slowlyness of my ispconfig?

Thnx
Marco

Till

Administrator
First, the slowness is not related to ISPConfig as ISPConfig is not involved in the download process of an email at all. The download happens between your email client and the IMAP server dovecot. Reasons for a slow download are: Slow internet connection on the client-side or the server-side, high CPU load on the server, Antivirus software on the client system, or slow hard disk speed on the server.

mlechner

Hi Till,

this sounds like a standard answer to a FAQ. As I pointed out the servers load is low, tending to zero. the clients do not have any problems wit hother email accounts using IMAP. all the clients are running Linux (no M$ Winshit). The internet connection of client or server can not be the limit (server is fast when syncing files, ... - which does exclude the slow hard disl speed as well). If I could narrow down the problem to a specific component (dovecot, postfux, amavisd) I could ask this question at the specific support channels, but at the moment I do not have an idea how to find that out. Well ispconfig ist the componentn that is responsible for the configuration management.
So unfortunately I have to ask again for any hint and help here.

Best regards
Marco

First, the slowness is not related to ISPConfig as ISPConfig is not involved in the download process of an email at all. The download happens between your email client and the IMAP server dovecot. Reasons for a slow download are: Slow internet connection on the client-side or the server-side, high CPU load on the server, Antivirus software on the client system, or slow hard disk speed on the server.

Till

Administrator
If I could narrow down the problem to a specific component (dovecot, postfux, amavisd) I could ask this question at the specific support channels, but at the moment I do not have an idea how to find that out.

I answered that question already, so here again:

The download happens between your email client and the IMAP server dovecot.

I did not mention any other applications because no other applications are involved into that process.

Till

Administrator
Btw. You can e.g. use Roundcube webmail to access the mailbox, if the attachment download in Roundcube is as slow as in your external mail client, then the issue is on your server. if it's fast, then you know the issue is between your server and the client (including the client system and any firewalls on the server and the client).

Till

Administrator
Und das hier ist übrigens das deutsche Forum, wenn Du Hilfe auf englisch haben möchtest, poste bitte im englischen Forum auf howtoforge.com.

Werbung